Since 1954, The Arc Oregon has been serving Oregonians with intellectual and developmental disabilities. As an affiliate of The Arc of the United States, we strive make Oregon a place where individuals experiencing I/DD are included and valued in the community.
At The Arc Oregon, in addition to supporting individuals and families through our programs and services, we advocate for the rights of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities so that they can live full, productive lives as respected members of our community.
We hope that you will join us in achieving our mission.
New Trustee After a four month process of requesting, receiving and reviewing proposals from five different banks, The Arc Oregon Board of Directors has chosen Key Private Bank to…
By now you have most likely heard about the ABLE (Achieving A Better Life Experience) Act moving its way through the Oregon Legislature this session. The ABLE Act creates a new…
- The Arc Applauds U.S. Supreme Court Decision in Special Education Case: “The IDEA Demands More” March 23, 2017By: Shira Wakschlag, Director of Legal Advocacy & Associate General Counsel On Wednesday, in the second major win for students with disabilities and their families before the U.S. Supreme Court this term, the Court issued a unanimous decision in the … Continue reading →
- What are the 5 Worst Things About the ACA Repeal Bill? March 20, 2017Recently the House Energy and Commerce Committee and Ways and Means Committee passed legislation to cut Medicaid and repeal major portions of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). This bill is moving fast, and we expect the House to vote on … Continue reading →
- Celebrating the Far Too Often Lost Right to Make Your Own Decisions March 17, 2017During Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month, The Arc celebrates the decision to allow Ryan King, a man with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD), to make his own decisions. According to a Washington Post column, Ryan King is a man in his 30s who was placed … Continue reading →
- What’s at Stake at the Supreme Court for People with Disabilities? The Arc Reviews Judge Gorsuch’s Record on Disability Rights March 17, 2017By: Shira Wakschlag, Director of Legal Advocacy & Associate General Counsel On January 31, 2017, President Donald Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals for a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court. Judge Gorsuch’s confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee … Continue reading →
- The Arc On CBO Score of American Health Care Act “The numbers are in, and they are devastating for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities” March 14, 2017Washington, DC – The Arc released the following statement in response to the Congressional Budget Office’s report on the American Health Care Act, the plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act: “The numbers are in, and they are devastating for … Continue reading →
- Nuts & Bolts of Income Tax for Individuals with Disabilities and Their Families March 8, 2017By Elizabeth L. Gray, CELA, Special Needs Alliance® As we approach tax season, it is important to understand the different tax credits, deductions, and liabilities affecting individuals with disabilities and their families. This is a complicated subject. This article provides … Continue reading →
- The Arc on House Health Care Bill: “Medicaid Will Be Decimated” March 7, 2017Washington, DC – The Arc released the following statement on the draft legislation that repeals the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and pays for it by decimating Medicaid, a program critical to the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities: … Continue reading →
- The Arc Applauds U.S. Supreme Court Decision Allowing Independent Disability Discrimination Claims Against School Districts February 23, 2017By: Shira Wakschlag, Director, Legal Advocacy & Associate General Counsel The Arc applauds this decision which removes important barriers for students with disabilities seeking redress under the ADA and Section 504. The Arc has long advocated for the rights of … Continue reading →
- The Arc Responds to House Republican Leadership Plans to Repeal the Affordable Care Act and Decimate the Medicaid Program February 17, 2017Washington, DC – The Arc released the following statement following the release of the House Republicans’ new plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act: “Politicians are being very cavalier with peoples’ lives as they attempt to pay for the … Continue reading →
- Chapters of The Arc are Getting Media Coverage on the ACA and Medicaid February 8, 2017Members of Congress are constantly seeking ways to know what’s going on back home and what their constituents care about. One way their offices do this is by monitoring their local and state newspapers every day. When constituents get published … Continue reading →